Colorado State University
MA in philosophy
- Associated Faculty: Phil Cafaro, Katie McShane, Bernard Rollin, Holmes Rolston III (emeritus)
Michigan State University
MA & PhD in philosophy with a concentration in environmental philosophy & ethics
- Associated Faculty: Kevin Elliot (starting Spring 2014), Matt Ferkany, Daniel Steel, Paul Thompson, Gretel Van Wieren, Kyle Powys Whyte
- MSU hosts an annual “Distinguished Lecture in Environmental Philosophy” as well as regular “Master Classes” by visiting scholars in the field.
New York University
MA in Bioethics: Life, Health, & Environment
- Associated Faculty: Dale Jamieson, Benjamin Sachs, Christopher Schlottmann
- The program promotes a broad conception of bioethics encompassing both medical and environmental ethics, drawing on courses as well on faculty affiliates and programs in the schools of Medicine, Law, Education, Environmental Studies, and Public Service.
- Students may choose to follow a health track or an environment track but in both cases they will receive training in a broader bioethics whose theories and applications encompass life in all its forms.
Texas A&M University
PhD in philosophy with an emphasis in environmental, animal, & food ethics
- Associated Faculty: Robert Garcia, Clare Palmer, Gary Varner
- Ph.D. students specializing in animal, environmental, and food ethics are encouraged to complete a master’s degree in another field. For instance, a student specializing in environmental ethics might take a master’s in Wildlife and Fisheries Sciences with an emphasis in ecology, or a master’s in Political Science emphasizing environmental politics and regulation.
University of Colorado at Boulder
MS and PhD in environmental studies with an emphasis in values and theory
- Associated Faculty: David Boonin, Benjamin Hale, Sarah Krakoff, Alastair Norcross, Steve Vanderheiden, Michael Zimmerman
- Through the values and theory core, students in CU’s Environmental Studies Program can focus on environmental philosophy and the conceptual underpinnings of environmental studies.
University of Colorado at Boulder
Graduate Certificate in Environment, Policy and Society
- In conjunction with the traditional philosophy major, students can focus on environmental issues that transcend ordinary academic boundaries.
University of Georgia
Environmental Ethics Certificate Program (EECP)
- Associated Faculty: Chris Cuomo, Dorinda Dallmeyer, Victoria Davion, Cecilia Herles, Piers Stephens
- The Graduate Environmental Ethics Certificate was designed primarily to provide an additional credential to enhance professional development. It currently enrolls 20 graduate students, and was the first certificate program of its kind in the United States, began in 1983.
University of Montana
MA in philosophy with a concentration in environmental philosophy
- Faculty: Deborah Slicer, Christopher Preston, Soazig Le Bihan, Dan Spencer
- The University of Montana also hosts the Environmental Writing Institute and the Mansfield Ethics and Public Affairs Program (formerly known as the Center for Ethics).
- Students are required to take three credits in an internship or field course which can be fulfilled by participating as an assistant in a three-week Wild Rockies Field Institute course in one of Montana’s natural areas.
University of North Texas
MA and Ph.D. in philosophy with a concentration environmental ethics and philosophy
- Associated Faculty: Adam Briggle, J. Baird Callicott, Robert Figueroa, Sarah Fredericks, Bob Frodeman, Trish Glazebrook, Eugene Hargrove, Jonathan Hook, Pankaj Jain, George James, David Kaplan, Irene Klaver, Ricardo Rozzi
- The philosophy department at UNT is the home of the first journal in the field, Environmental Ethics (founded 1979), as well as the Center for Environmental Philosophy.
- The department pursues a number of research projects focusing on the broad issues of environmental concern—OMORA, The Water Program, Center for the Study of Interdisciplinarity, The Philosophy of Food Project, and the Environmental Justice Project.
University of Oregon
PhD in Environmental Science, Studies, and Policy with a focus in Philosophy
- Associated Faculty: Mark Johnson, Bonnie Mann, Scott Pratt, Ted Toadvine, Peter Warnek
- Offered through the University’s Environmental Studies Program
- The journal Environmental Philosophy is published at the University of Oregon as a joint venture of the Philosophy Department and Environmental Studies Program.
University of Stellenbosch, South Africa
MPhil & PhD in philosophy with a specialization in environmental ethics
- Associated Faculty: Johan Hattingh
- Offered in 2013 by the Philosophy Department and the Centre for Applied Ethics (CAE)
Washington State University and University of Idaho, joint program
MA in philosophy with an emphasis in environmental philosophy and ethics
- Associated Faculty: Dale D. Goble, Douglas Lind, Michael O’Rourke, Kathryn Paxton George, Gundars Rudzitis, Dan Holbrook
- Each spring, students in the program attend the Idaho/Montana Graduate Student Conference in Environmental Philosophy and have the opportunity to present a paper before peers and select faculty from the two universities.
MA in environmental policy
- The program employs an educational approach that fosters analytical skills, leading to an in-depth understanding of the complex relationships among natural science, law, and management. Students gain the ability to use the tools of these disciplines to develop appropriate responses to complex environmental issues.
- Students completing this program will be prepared to think globally and address environmental problems facing our planet using cutting-edge technology and research that is fueling national and international policy.