ACCESS EUROPE offers three Postdoctoral research positions for the duration of one year. The selected candidates will be working in one of the participating faculties of the University of Amsterdam or the Vrije Universiteit. Deadline for applications: 16 October 2014.
ACCESS EUROPE is an UvA-VU Amsterdam Academic Alliance initiative. As a joint venture of the University of Amsterdam and the Vrije Universiteit, the Amsterdam Centre for Contemporary European Studies (ACCESS EUROPE) is an institutional platform for research, education and public debate on Europe, the European Union and its member states. ACCESS EUROPE has two principal goals. The first is to promote co-operation in research and education between faculties at both universities. The second is to create a forum for dialogue and exchange on urgent questions concerning the dynamics and direction of contemporary Europe between academic researchers and a wide range of public and private stakeholders.
The UvA faculties of Law, Humanities, and Social and Behavioural Sciences, and the VU faculties of Law and Social Sciences participate. ACCESS EUROPE covers six main themes: European law and governance; European constitutionalism; political economy of integration and welfare; European politics and society; European identity and culture; Europe and the world. Each theme is led by theme leaders coming from both universities.
· Carrying out fundamental research, and publishing results in international peer-reviewed ISI journals in collaboration with other researchers involved in the theme;
· helping to organize research seminars and international workshops;
· writing a VENI or VIDI proposal for submission to the Dutch Science Foundation (NWO) in the 2016 round as part of the expected research output.
· Candidates hold a PhD (or will soon obtain one) in the social sciences, law, economics or humanities. The exact profile of the candidates in terms of research agenda is flexible. It is important, however, to be connected to the ACCESS EUROPE themes and their research agendas;
· demonstrated affinity with the themes of ACCESS EUROPE;
· a strong publication record;
· good written and oral command of the English language.
Conditions of employment:
The appointment will be on a temporary basis for the period of 1 year at the UvA or VUA, starting a.s.a.p., preferably on 1 January 2015. Depending on the individual profile of the successful candidates, it may be possible to extend the length of the postdoctoral appointment through supplementary teaching and/or support from other research units within the two universities. The gross monthly salary will be between €2,427 and €4,462 (scale 10-11) in the case of a full-time position (38 hrs / week). Secondary benefits at Dutch universities are attractive and include 8% holiday pay and an 8.3% end of year bonus.
Applications, in the form of
· a motivation letter that indicates the ACCESS theme with which the applicant would like to be affiliated;
· a full CV including an overview of publications;
· a one-page activity and publication plan;
· and two letters of recommendation
must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org before 16 October 2014. Emailed applications should bear the vacancy number in the subject line and should contain the documents as an attachment (in one single pdf-file).
See the full job announcement at https://www.academictransfer.com/employer/UVA/vacancy/24149/lang/en/