For the second issue of Thinking Nature: A Journal on the Concept of Nature we are seeking papers that address the relation between nature and aesthetics. Writing on and about nature whether theoretical or not often relies on the aesthetic as a means of highlighting nature’s importance and the importance of ecological politics, activism, and living. For this issue we are seeking speculative and experimental approaches to the opportunity and problem of aesthetics as it crosses nature, the natural, and ecology.
- Environmental Aesthetics
- The relation of the sublime to nature and aesthetics
- The importance of the visual for ecology/ecological critique
- Anthrocentrism and Aesthetics or Aesthetics of the Inhuman
- Aesthetics and the natural/artificial relation
- Sentience and Aesthetics/Cognitive models and Aesthetics of Nature
- Non-Visible Nature and Aesthetics
We are asking for completed manuscripts (in rough draft form or better) of 5,000 – 8,000 words with Chicago style references (footnotes and not endnotes). We are also interested in art pieces, either single pieces or a small collection, either written, visual, or other.
The deadline for submissions is January 31st, 2012. Please email submissions to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org