The Philosophy Department in the College of Letters, Arts, and Social Sciences at California State Polytechnic University, Pomona (Cal Poly Pomona) invites applications for a tenure-track position at the rank of Assistant Professor to begin Fall 2012.
The Position: The successful candidate will teach nine quarter courses per year, including lower-division general education courses and upper-division major courses. The areas of specialization for this position are Environmental Ethics and Policy. Areas of competence are open; however, department has teaching needs in feminism and race studies. Responsibilities will also include participation in university, college, and departmental governance, curriculum development, student advising, and research and scholarly activities. Candidates with appropriate qualifications will also be expected to contribute leadership and expertise to the interdisciplinary degree program in Science, Technology, and Society. Applicants whose work incorporates a global perspective and a demonstrated commitment to diversity in higher education are particularly encouraged to apply.
- Ph.D. in Philosophy from an accredited university by September 1, 2012
- Evidence of university teaching experience; please send teaching evaluations if available
- Evidence of ability to work with and mentor a diverse student population
- Evidence of scholarly potential (conference presentations, publications, grant development)
- Evidence of one or more years of university teaching experience in specialization/teaching areas of Environmental Ethics and Policy
- Experience working with and mentoring a diverse student population
- Evidence of scholarly productivity in areas of Environmental Ethics and Policy
Application Procedure: A completed application will consist of:
- a cover letter that describes the candidate’s teaching and research experience and interests and that addresses the duties and qualifications articulated in the position description; this must include a statement of the candidate’s teaching philosophy within a multicultural environment with examples of past experiences;
- a curriculum vitae comprised of at least those elements specified on the application form and including the names, titles, addresses, and telephone numbers of at least five individuals who can speak to the candidate’s potential for success in this position;
- three recent (dated within the past two years) letters of reference, at least one of which (at least in part) addresses teaching qualifications;
- a writing sample;
- a completed application form available at http://www.class.csupomona.edu/fs/jobs/
- a transcript showing highest degree earned (an official transcript will be required of finalists).
The position is open until filled. First consideration will be given to completed applications postmarked by December 9, 2011. Early response is encouraged. Please address all nominations, inquiries, requests for application forms, and application materials to:
Faculty Search Committee
c/o Peter Ross, Professor
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
Pomona, CA 91768
Phone: 909.869.4766 FAX: 909.869.4434
Department Website: http://www.class.csupomona.edu/phl
Cal Poly Pomona is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer.